[Peace-discuss] Michael Albert remembers.

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sat May 10 21:41:50 CDT 2008

"Preciously pertinent"? How do you mean that, Mort? Particularly, how do you
understand this paragraph?

I knew Carl Oglesby slightly and liked him.  I possess probably one of the few
extant original copies of his book, "The Yankee and Cowboy War."  But this
comment is jejune (understandably -- it was 1965).

Kennedy, Bundy, McNamara, Rusk, Lodge and Goldberg were certainly liberals by
the standards of the time. But they were not honorable mean, except in the
deeply ironic sense in which Antony uses the term in Shakespeare's play (and
that Carl may have been thinking of, at least subconsciously: an educated native
speaker of English cannot use the term "honorable men" without reference to
"Julius Caesar").

They were mass murderers, and if they were not moral monsters, then there aren't
any, ever.  --CGE