[Peace-discuss] Michael Albert remembers.

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun May 11 00:28:30 CDT 2008

I don't think the problem is "precious" but rather Oglesby's exculpation (if
that's what it is) of the leaders of the American government in the Kennedy era
(and Albert's strange praise of it).

Marx analysis' of the hidden nature of capitalism and its historical nature is
of permanent value, but he knew perfectly well that people "make their own
history": he added (in the Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Napoleon, 1852),
"But they do not make it as they please; they do not make it under self-selected
circumstances, but under circumstances existing already, given and transmitted
from the past."

But are leaders therefore exculpated, as Oglesby seems to suggest? Was it the
system that defined the German leaders in the 1930s, and if so was Nuremberg
wrong to condemn them?  Was it the system that defined the ANC leaders in
apartheid South Africa, and so it's wrong to praise them?

What system are you and I defined by? Or are we somehow freer than Kennedy &
friends?  --CGE