[Peace-discuss] Michael Albert remembers.

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun May 11 12:52:09 CDT 2008

Albert's paragraph makes a little more sense in context.  He's talking about the
slow and stupid struggle to political awareness of the chattering classes in
America in the mid-1960s, after more than a decade of post-WWII brainwashing
(metonymically called "McCarthyism").

Albert uses Oglesby's speech to illustrate the progress: "We began to realize
that it wasn't just bad people. It was bad institutions."  But a bad institution
doesn't exculpate the people in it: just the opposite, unless they're being
struggled against.

An institution is a patterned way of doing things, though reasons for it and
even its procedures are often tacit and hidden. It is of course vital to analyze
and expose them, so that we can ask, "Is that what we really want to do?" --
whether we're talking about the unconscious influences on behavior to which
Freud directed us or the hidden workings of the economy that Marx noted.

As has been said, modern views of the world are "hermeneutics of suspicion" --
suggestions for methods of interpretation, based on the insight that things are
not what they seem (cf., in addition to Freud on psychology and Marx on
economics, Einstein on physics and Chomsky on linguistics) -- and particularly
so in the modern social world.

But the ignoring of those patterns, which the early SDSers were slowly
struggling against, had not happened without protest.  As usual, the poets got
there long before:

	I wander thro' each charter'd street,
	Near where the charter'd Thames does flow
	And mark in every face I meet
	Marks of weakness, marks of woe.

	In every cry of every Man,
	In every Infant's cry of fear,
	In every voice: in every ban,
	The mind-forg'd manacles I hear

	How the Chimney-sweeper's cry
	Every blackning Church appalls,
	And the hapless Soldier's sigh
	Runs in blood down Palace walls.

	But most thro' midnight streets I hear
	How the youthful Harlot's curse
	Blasts the new-born Infant's tear,
	And blights with plagues the Marriage hearse.
  	(William Blake, "London," 1794)

Feudal exploitation was obvious, but that human relationships were instrumental
was rejected; capitalist exploitation is hidden, but we take for granted the
notion that human relations are instrumental: under capitalism, we're all
salesmen, said Marx. That's why Blake's contemporary, Kant, found it necessary
to raise to the level of the primary moral exhortation to "treat humanity,
whether in your own person or in the person of any other, always at the same
time as an end and never merely as a means to an end" -- but he was swimming
against the vast tide of modernity.

In the previous paragraph, Albert quotes one of the Existentialists of the
post-WWII period, who were in fact asking the right questions for the time,
those of freedom and responsibility.  "We were never more free than under the
Occupation," said Sartre, who spoke of "bourgeois bad faith," by which he meant
the excuse that we could do nothing else but go along -- resistance was futile,
we're defined by the system.

Perhaps I was wrong to think the answers to my rhetorical questions obvious. The
Nuremberg tribunal was not wrong to condemn the German leaders for launching
aggressive war, which it termed "the supreme international crime [i.e., worse
than terrorism] differing only from other war crimes in that it contains within
itself the accumulated evil of the whole." We are not wrong to praise the heroes
who fought for their people's freedom in apartheid South Africa.

It is necessary for us -- rich, privileged and free beyond the dreams of the
vast majority of humanity -- to reject the comfortable servitude to which our
rulers' hatred of democracy (quite reasonable, because it threatens their power
and privilege) reduces us. We're supposed to be isolated in front of our TV
screens (or computers), scared to lose our jobs (or health care), and
consequently discouraged from getting together, talking to one another, getting
the information we need, and making decisions that have effect.  That would be
democracy -- not pulling a lever for a pre-selected candidate every few years.

Most of humanity really is oppressed -- "defined by a system" that says submit
or die.  But the American leaders of the 1960s weren't (nor were the German
leaders of the 1930s); nor in another way was Mandela -- nor are we. --CGE