[Peace-discuss] Straining at a gnat...

n.dahlheim at mchsi.com n.dahlheim at mchsi.com
Mon May 19 17:17:32 CDT 2008

Carl,
    JFK was not a statist reactionary, but a statist pragmatist in line with the consensus liberal politics of
the age---JFK was no reactionary, but he was cool and calculating in his management of the Cuban
Missile Crisis and his political maneuvering behind the scenes masked by his hawkish rhetoric covered
up his plan to remove combat personnel from Indochina by 1965------see the excellent and
copiously researched book by military historian John Newman entitled "JFK and Vietnam."

    Don't get me wrong---JFK had little to no progressive credentials---but, then except for a few
moments by Teddy Roosevelt, FDR's New Deal, Johnson's Great Society (nearly nullified by the
Administration's poor reaction to race riots in 1965 and 1968), and Richard Nixon's domestic programs
such as price controls, NIH Cancer Research, marijuana decriminalization, and environmental
regulations---- there have been almost no progressive moments in the U.S. Presidency....

       Nick