[Peace-discuss] Unfashionable sense on Lebanon

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Thu May 22 21:51:13 CDT 2008

[The administration is playing the same murderous and dangerous game in Lebanon
  that it is in Gaza -- covertly supporting attempts to counter a popular
movement that won't follow US orders.  Such subversion makes a mockery of USG
claims that it is in the Middle East to support democracy.  But of course no one
in the world believes that, except US editors and columnists.  Here's one of the
few sensible voices on this issue in the Congress. --CGE]

	May 22, 2008
	March to War in Lebanon?
	by Rep. Ron Paul

Statement on H Res 1194, "Reaffirming the support of the House of
Representatives for the legitimate, democratically-elected Government of Lebanon
under Prime Minister Fouad Siniora."

I rise in opposition to H. Res. 1194 because it is dangerously interventionist
and will likely lead to more rather than less violence in the Middle East.

I have noticed that this legislation reads eerily similar to a key clause in the
2002 Iraq war bill, H J Res 114, which authorized the use of force.

The key resolved clause in H. Res. 1194 before us today reads:

Resolved, That the House of Representatives –

(6) urges –

(A) the United States Government and the international community to immediately
take all appropriate actions to support and strengthen the legitimate Government
of Lebanon under Prime Minister Fouad Siniora;

The Iraq war authorization language from 2002 is strikingly similar, as you can
see here:

(a) AUTHORIZATION- The President is authorized to use the Armed Forces of the
United States as he determines to be necessary and appropriate in order to –

(1) defend the national security of the United States against the continuing
threat posed by Iraq;

I am concerned that this kind of similarity is intentional and will inevitably
result in US military action in Lebanon, or against Syria or Iran.

I am also concerned over the process of bringing this resolution to the Floor
for a vote. I find it outrageous that H. Res. 1194, which calls for more risky
US interventionism in the Middle East, is judged sufficiently
"non-controversial" to be placed on the suspension calendar for consideration on
the House Floor outside of normal order. Have we reached the point where it is
no longer controversial to urge the president to use "all appropriate actions" –
with the unmistakable implication that force may be used – to intervene in the
domestic affairs of a foreign country?

Mr. Speaker, the Arab League has been mediating the conflict between rival
political factions in Lebanon and has had some success in halting the recent
violence. Currently, negotiations are taking place in Qatar between the Lebanese
factions and some slow but encouraging progress is being made. Regional actors –
who do have an interest in the conflict – have stepped up in attempt to diffuse
the crisis and reach a peaceful solution, and press reports today suggest that a
deal between the rival factions may have been reached. Yet at this delicate
stage of negotiations the US House is preparing to pass a very confrontational
resolution pledging strong support for one side and condemning competing
factions. US threats in this resolution to use "all appropriate actions" to
support one faction are in fact a strong disincentive for factions to continue
peaceful negotiations and could undermine the successes thus far under Arab
League moderation.

This legislation strongly condemns Iranian and Syrian support to one faction in
Lebanon while pledging to involve the United States on the other side. Wouldn’t
it be better to be involved on neither side and instead encourage the
negotiations that have already begun to resolve the conflict?

Afghanistan continues to sink toward chaos with no end in sight. The war in
Iraq, launched on lies and deceptions, has cost nearly a trillion dollars and
more than 4,000 lives with no end in sight. Saber rattling toward Iran and Syria
increases daily, including in this very legislation. Yet we are committing
ourselves to intervene in a domestic political dispute that has nothing to do
with the United States.

This resolution leads us closer to a wider war in the Middle East. It involves
the United States unnecessarily in an internal conflict between competing
Lebanese political factions and will increase rather than decrease the chance
for an increase in violence. The Lebanese should work out political disputes on
their own or with the assistance of regional organizations like the Arab League.
I urge my colleagues to reject this march to war and to reject H. Res. 1194.

Find this article at:
http://www.antiwar.com/paul/?articleid=12882