[Peace-discuss] Why Obama has to do that...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 4 16:18:54 CST 2008

Stuart---

I have no trouble agreeing with the principles you put forth but more difficulty
accepting the conclusions you draw:

[1] Politicians are not "divinely consistent." True.

[2] We are not oracles.  Also true, altho' I'm not quite sure what you take to
be the essence of that oracularity that is being denied to us. AFAIK oracles are
classically ambiguous and misinterpreted. I haven't thought that anything I've
written on these matters has been particularly ambiguous, but it does seem that
I've failed to make myself clear to some of our colleagues.  (And I do have to
admit that, since I read Edith Hamilton's "Mythology" at an impressionable age,
I've felt some sympathy for Cassandra -- always right, never believed...)

[3] But I don't think Obama on the war and Bush on pollution make much of a
parallel.  It's said that all analogies limp, but this one is positively
Oedipal, in at least one sense.  (Perhaps that's the classical theme again, like
oracle.)
     Bush undoubtedly took the position on pollution that he did because there
was a vocal environmental lobby and a good deal of public concern on the matter,
but -- given the people he was working for -- I can't believe he ever meant it.
  That's consistent with what we've seen of his character.  (As the late Studs
Terkel said, Bush represents the "evil of banality.")  And the PR worked: after
the 2004 election a *majority* of Bush voters by survey thought that he favored
the Kyoto Protocol -- because the Kyoto Protocol was reasonable and Bush was a
reasonable man...
     But Obama chose against the popular position, so lacked Bush's motive to
dissemble.  He appeared as an antiwar candidate ("against this war from the
beginning"), and three-quarters of the populace agreed with him. Nevertheless he
has consistently taken pro-war positions from the time of his run for the
Senate, when he discussed the circumstances under which Iran should be attacked,
to his criticism of Bush and McCain for dragging their feet on attacking Pakistan.
     Bush's statement was a campaign lie, but Obama's seem to indicate his real
position, because it was the opposite of poll-driven.  From his Berlin speech to
the final debate, it became undeniable that Obama was asserting the need for an
expansion of the war on terror "in the most important theatre," AfPak.

[4] Your second example is more curious. As the primary season ended, it was a
commonplace (put forward by, e.g., NYT columnists Nicholas Kristof and Maureen
Dowd) that "Clinton was ready to undermine the Democrats" specifically Obama, in
hopes that a brief McCain interregnum would be followed by "Hillary in 2012."
There were organizations (e.g., PUMA -- "Party Unity My Ass") of Clinton voters
boosting McCain; not only was Bill Clinton notoriously reluctant in regard to
Obama's nomination but also Hillary was brushed aside as Obama's VP, perhaps for
the same reason.  What really scotched the Hillary-in-2012 campaign was the
(surprising) success of the Obama campaign against McCain: if McCain couldn't
win, Hillary couldn't succeed him; so the Clintons belatedly got back with the
program.  (And maybe they sold their "A Woman for President in 2012" materials
to Palin: the McCain people seem to think so.)

[5] So you're saying that my attempt to describe accurately what was going on
was a matter of making "a *divisive* prediction" and therefore shouldn't have
been done, because it was "a distraction from the issues of peace"?  You can't
mean that.  "Tell the truth and shame the devil," says Hotspur.

[6] "Obama sees himself as a centrist , [so] where the Center moves, and *has
moved*, so moves he."   The problem is that that center (and the left and the
right)  is defined by the media and the parties on a spectrum substantially to
the right of where the populace is.  It's defined by the dominant class' limits
of allowable debate, which simply exclude things like real withdrawal from the
Mideast, single-payer health care, and not bailing out the banks -- which all
have quite strong support, as you well know, but you'd never know it from the
media.
     In an interview with Real News in August, Klein attacked MoveOn and the
other fake left groups for failing to pressure Obama, who, she said, "does not
have an anti-war position, not in Afghanistan, not in Iraq," -- and discussed
his  "tilt toward Rubinomics."  She knows that he's a centrist only in the
specialized sense of US public politics and therefore a great deal of pressure
will be necessary -- because his policies need to be reversed, not just nudged a
bit.

[7] I hope you're right that Obama"might actually listen," but I see no evidence
of much malleability in his positions.  Why won't he soon say, with some
justice, "Look, you knew what I was going to do in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan,
Palestine, Georgia, Venezuela, etc., etc. -- I said it often enough during the
campaign"?  And he did, showing a good bit of confidence in his own rhetorical
ability to palliate the  popular distaste for traditional US policy.  The point
of "The Audacity of Hope" was that he could sell ruling class policies to the
mass of Americans, and avoid what he wrote was "the biggest casualty of [the
Vietnam war] -- the bond of trust between the American people and their
government"!  It's been noted that there were bigger casualties.

[8] Regarding "how to sustain an organized movement" -- today it's the absence,
not the presence of an anti-war movement that has to be explained.  The largest
anti-war demos in human history occurred before the invasion of Iraq, and
three-quarters of Americans say they disapprove of the war.  So  why -- in
contrast to 40 years ago -- no movement?
     Part -- surely not all -- of the answer is the Obama campaign itself.
Obama's undeserved reputation as an anti-war candidate meant that opponents of
the war were attracted when his candidacy was first bruited about ("Illinois
Anti-Warriors and the Attractive Senator"
<http://www.counterpunch.org/estabrook09292005.html>) -- we had a fight in AWARE
about that -- and Democratic front groups like MoveOn et al. worked hard to
co-opt the antiwar movement for the Democrats.  They won.  The Obama movement is
not a source of an anti-war movement but an alternative to it, that ends in
supporting an expanding war.
     Karl Marx tells a story that he attributes to Luther, that a giant stole
cattle from a village and dragged them by their tails backwards into his cave;
when the villagers arrived with the requisite torches, dogs and pitchforks to
complain, the giant said they had it all wrong: he was *supplying* cattle to the
village -- just look at the direction of the hoof prints!
     What the giant was doing with the people's cattle, Obama was doing with the
people's movement...

As another Marx said, "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them ...
well, I have others."

Regards, CGE