[Peace-discuss] Support the new boss (same as the old boss...)?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 4 18:49:51 CST 2008

[Dennis Perrin, who wrote "Savage Mules: The Democrats and Endless War" (I gave
a copy to Mort, but I'm not sure he read it -- because, if he had, he'd be even
more upset with me...) and also wrote jokes for Bill Maher (see his website at
<http://dennisperrin.blogspot.com/>, here responds to a comment that sees the
Obama movement as positive for an antiwar movement. He (and I, among others)
disagrees. --CGE]

     "Obama has inspired some idealism in people.  He won't deliver
     on a lot of what he promises, but the movement around him
     has created an aperture, a momentum that we can build upon."

What "movement" are you talking about...? The movement to get him
elected? Yeah, that clearly worked, but I keep hearing how the "left" and
liberals in general are gonna put flame to his feet after he takes office.

And how, exactly, is that gonna work? There's no mass movement in this
country, nothing like FDR faced in 1933. Obama already sold out his supporters
over FISA, not that most cared all that much or did anything about it. And
with the right wing acting crazy toward him, which will become a burning
cottage industry over the next four years, liberals will be defending his
administration, much like they did Clinton's -- only this time, I think it'll be
even more emotional.

I do think that Obama will deliver on his promises to Wall Street, the military,
and police departments around the nation. And if I was an Afghan or Pakistani, I
would hope that Obama wouldn't deliver on his promises to me.

Dennis