[Peace-discuss] Uncle Noam on the BBC

Barbara kessel barkes at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 11:42:19 CST 2008

I think the Chomsky point is that it is a great opening moment for the
People and for organizers of people, a point also made by Naomi Klein (on
October 29) who said, "Obama is a Centrist. It is up to us to move the
Center."  Even were he to be better than our fears, he cannot fail to
disappoint because the size of the mess he steps into.       We need now to
"stretch the map" of anti-war protestors. Just because 64% of the voters
said that their top issue was the economy and 10% said it was the war does
not mean that these issues remain unrelated in all the minds of that 64%.
True Anecdote: 84 year old father of a friend of mine, who is a veteran of
WWII, a stone racist, always voted Republican, cast his first Democratic
vote for Obama saying to his grown children, "I am sick and tired of seeing
the government throwing our money away on useless and unnecessary wars."
 Barbara Kessel