[Peace-discuss] Bellicose rhetoric???

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Fri Nov 7 22:50:54 CST 2008

I also am not sure that Neil's sentence is an example of an ad
hominem* attack. But I know that it is deceitful.

There has never been an effort to deny criticism of Obama at recent
AWARE meetings, certainly not from this quarter. I believed (most of)
Obama's campaign foreign policy statements were detestable, although
noting that on the domestic front we could expect some improvement
over what we could expect from McCain/Palin.  That McCain would
likely be even a worse choice, was being ignored or grossly
underplayed in the barrage against Obama, and this lack of "balance"
is what I found objectionable.

In the election, people were given a restricted choice, and it was
for the general welfare that they choose the best of the lousy
choices. I believe they did.

Willful distortion here is the main fault.

*ad hominem |ˈad ˈhämənəm|
adverb & adjective
1 (of an argument or reaction) arising from or appealing to the
emotions and not reason or logic.
• attacking an opponent’s motives or character rather than the
policy or position they maintain : vicious ad hominem attacks.
2 relating to or associated with a particular person : [as adv. ] the
office was created ad hominem for Fenton. | [as adj. ] an ad hominem
response.
ORIGIN late 16th cent.: Latin, literally ‘to the person.’

--mkb