[Peace-discuss] Bellicose rhetoric???

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Nov 9 14:53:30 CST 2008

"...this lack of 'balance' is what I found objectionable..."

Mort--

The balance you call for would apparently mean equal time devoted to exposing
what McCain's actual position on the war was, and what policies he would follow
in office.

Was there any doubt about that? But there was a great deal of doubt about those
questions in regard to Obama.

Was anyone in AWARE or reading this list (with the exception of the FBI agent)
thinking of voting for McCain?  But many were supporting Obama.

Shouldn't an anti-war group attempt to discover what the war policy of the
presumptive president is, and what he's likely to do in office, in order to
figure out what an anti-war strategy might be?  Asking Mr. Obama to be nice
strikes me as puerile, to borrow a phrase: it didn't work with Kennedy, Johnson,
Carter, or Clinton (or any Republicans, it goes without saying).

Chomsky says that he differs with his Quaker friends who recommend telling truth
to power.  Power already knows the truth, he says, and tries to cover it up.  We
should be telling truth to our fellow citizens -- but that depends on our
breaking through power's obfuscation, and finding out what the truth is.  What
the truth is -- that's what the arguments on this list are about.  We know (and
agreed on) the truth about McCain, but not about Obama -- the front-runner -- so
there was little sense in devoting equal time to both.  --CGE