[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Now Obama's in, is anti-war anti-racism activism out?

Neil Parthun lennybrucefan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 19:49:54 CST 2008

Jenifer and others --

I think that there was not so much discussion of McCain because, at
least I'm going to guess here, we all were well aware of his pro-war,
pro-occupation views which were antithetical to our described ethic
as anti-war activists.  It would have been like sending out emails
like "Grass is green", "Humans breathe oxygen" and "We are using the
AWARE Peace Discuss list".  It would be facts that everybody already
was well aware of and would be, to paraphrase Bob's words (but not
intent) a true waste of everybody's time.

While some may have had a "vendetta", I was interested and am
interested in holding any President -- right wing or "left wing" to a
socially just set of enacted policies.  I was interested in exposing
the possibilities that Obama may have played anti-war activists for
votes and may very well have no intention of ending wars, but would
rather expand the war(s).  Given some of his statements in Germany,
to AIPAC, et al., I would easily describe that there was (and most
certainly is) cause for concern.

Similarly, how was it smear tactics to quote Obama's words and then
say that he might enact such policy?  Hell, Michael Moore said that
he hoped Obama would break his campaign promises because his promises
scared/disappointed him.  But I digress...

Now that we have a President Obama, we must hold him to socially just
policies and put forth the public pressure to ensure that he and the
almost filibuster proof Democratic Congress take actions that will
assist the working class and the peace movement.

As one commentator said on Friday's Democracy Now (can't remember the
name off the top of my head) "Obama's win was a victory against
racism but not a victory for the left."

We must enact the public pressure to ensure that Obama has no choice
but to enact socially just policies -- much like the public pressure
that forced FDR to enact some social works programs that became the
New Deal.  We must not fall into the trap of being on the defense
against right wing attacks and becoming apologists for continued war,
imperialism and the ruling class riding the working class like a
cheap, beaten mule (h/t to HST) in the name of what is "politically
viable" and "pragmatic".

Smile and keep fighting,

      Neil

  We absolutely have to refuse to attribute any kind of permanency to
that which is simply because it is.
[angela v. davis, 1944-]

Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could.
Some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as
you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with
too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.
[ralph waldo emerson, 1803-1882]