[Peace-discuss] [Fwd: [ronpaul-207] "Compulsory universal service" for ages 18-25]

Karen Medina kmedina at illinois.edu
Tue Nov 11 11:18:49 CST 2008

Wayne,

I actually agree with you, that compulsory service is usually counter-productive.

But I do not know of a way that would make the military less of an economic
draft and therefore more equitably spread.

There are plenty of kids out there who think they have no other chance in life
than to take the offer that the recruiters offer them.  And their parents also
believe this is true.

One day that I was working the AWARE table, my high school science teacher
came up and gave me a hug. We talked for awhile, catching up. And we talked
about the wars. He told me he was very proud of me being a peace activist. He
is the most peaceful person I have ever met.

My friend and I also share the Dominican Republic. I lived in the Dominican
Republic as a Peace Corps Volunteer in the 1980's. He was there in 1965 as a
US Marine.

As we discussed his grandchildren, he mentioned his granddaughter who was
just graduating from high school in Montana. She had planned to join the
military in order to pay for college. She wanted to take food and medical
supplies to countries that were hit by hurricanes. She wanted to help people.
And he had encouraged her to do this. But not now. Not since the US had started
all this nonsense. She was going to have to find some other way to get money
for college.

I know I see the US's meddling in the DR from a different perspective. But this
man, this grandfather, this ex-Marine, he taught me what peace is. He is a great
man. with a granddaughter who is looking for a way to help people and to help
her go to college.

If we all had to serve in the military, we would change what the military does.
We would have a stake in it. The military would not be made up of a bunch of
violent misfits, it would be made up of people.

-karen medina