[Peace-discuss] Bellicose rhetoric???

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Tue Nov 11 18:12:42 CST 2008

My responses below:

On Nov 9, 2008, at 2:53 PM, C. G. Estabrook wrote:

> "...this lack of 'balance' is what I found objectionable..."
>
> Mort--
>
> The balance you call for would apparently mean equal time devoted
> to exposing
> what McCain's actual position on the war was, and what policies he
> would follow
> in office.
>
> Was there any doubt about that? But there was a great deal of doubt
> about those
> questions in regard to Obama.
>
> Was anyone in AWARE or reading this list (with the exception of the
> FBI agent)
> thinking of voting for McCain?  But many were supporting Obama.

You willfully miss the point I tried to make: There were only two
realistic possibilities as to who would win the election, McCain or
Obama. By not considering the over-all positions of the two, and
their histories, you encouraged the notion that to vote for Obama
(say in Ohio, an up-for grabs state) would be the bad choice, (this
despite occasional strained remarks that perhaps it might be OK to
vote for Obama (in Ohio)). Few in AWARE, I believe, were fooled by or
ecstatic about Obama—his campaign positions—except in contrast
with McCain and the Bush reign. They simply considered Obama a better
choice over all.  That is "support" in a highly restricted sense.

> Shouldn't an anti-war group attempt to discover what the war policy
> of the
> presumptive president is, and what he's likely to do in office, in
> order to
> figure out what an anti-war strategy might be?  Asking Mr. Obama to
> be nice
> strikes me as puerile, to borrow a phrase: it didn't work with
> Kennedy, Johnson,
> Carter, or Clinton (or any Republicans, it goes without saying).

Perhaps you should ask AWARE members how enlightened they became as a
result of your tiresomely redundant condemnations of the villainy of
Obama. Speaking for myself, I did not need that information, being
quite conscious of Obama's defects. What I saw were politically blind
attacks on Obama which ignored the naturally expected conclusion of
someone told only of Obama's villainy, i.e., vote for his opponent!
Or don't vote, or vote for another candidate. Your attacks led to
nothing constructive, and hardly instructive in their repetitiousness.

> Chomsky says that he differs with his Quaker friends who recommend
> telling truth
> to power.  Power already knows the truth, he says, and tries to
> cover it up.  We
> should be telling truth to our fellow citizens -- but that depends
> on our
> breaking through power's obfuscation, and finding out what the
> truth is.  What
> the truth is -- that's what the arguments on this list are about.
> We know (and
> agreed on) the truth about McCain, but not about Obama -- the front-
> runner -- so
> there was little sense in devoting equal time to both.  --CGE

I don't believe that those attending AWARE meetings were unaware of
"power's obfuscations". Most allied themselves to AWARE to oppose the
power structure.

--mkb