[Peace-discuss] Bellicose rhetoric???

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Tue Nov 11 21:27:17 CST 2008

> It seems to me that many people good people, who opposed the war, wanted to
> convince themselves that Obama was an anti-war candidate, when he clearly
> wasn't.  The wish is father to the thought, but truth is better than illusion.

Even granting that it was the people who convinced themselves of this and not Obama who convinced them of this, how can you assume a self-righteous position of saying that for them truth is better than illusion?  I can understand how you might say that it is better for you personally but to suggest that this is the case for others is sheer projection based on your assuming that you have clearer and more accurate knowledge and understanding than those who do not agree with you, which comes down to egotism clear and simple.

I cannot respond to your claim that Mort has attributed opinions that you have denied; but I am not so sure that your response here furnishes a adequate reply to Mort's finding the apparent (to him) "lack of balance" objectionable.  While my response ( and I assume Neil's response) was primarily to Jenifer's comments on the disproportionateness of critical comments focused on Obama more than McCain more than to Mort's objections.  I think that there may be an essential difference in the arguments of the two concerning imbalance.