[Peace-discuss] Begin anew...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Nov 11 23:12:12 CST 2008

[The following came from a fund-raising appeal from the excellent web-site
<antiwar.com>.  An it has, in the words of Henry Kissinger, "the extra, added
advantage of being true." --CGE]

"I will do everything in my power to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear
weapon. Everything in my power. Everything."
	~ Barack Obama, speech to AIPAC, June 4, 2008

If you thought the election of Barack Obama took the prospect of war with Iran
off the table, you were wrong. Our president-elect went on to say:

"Let there be no doubt: I will always keep the threat of military action on the
table to defend our security and our ally Israel. Sometimes there are no
alternatives to confrontation."

And let there be no doubt: he means it.

Don't be fooled by Obama's stated willingness to engage in direct negotiations.
In the same speech, he declared that direct talks with Tehran would give us the
international support we need if and when the U.S. chooses to attack.

Army recruiters are telling young people "Don't worry, we won't send you to
Iraq" now that a Democrat will soon be in the White House. Will they send them
to Iran instead? Pakistan? Surely they'll go to Afghanistan, where Obama has
promised escalation.

The War Party is demanding the U.S. "do something" about Iran, and an
administration that feels it needs to prove its "toughness" may very well cave.
Israel's powerful lobby is pulling out all the stops and using its connections
in the incoming administration to make the case for confrontation.

With the election of a new president, our job hasn't ended – it has begun anew...

	###