[Peace-discuss] Urbana's WQ seeking ethnic cleansing and more power over property owners.

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 20:21:59 CST 2008

On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 6:59 PM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at uiuc.edu> wrote:

Do you really *favor* the Peoples' Republic of Urbana proceeding against
> people who might engage in "mob action"?  And who do think they will be?

Jenifer didn't say that the ordinance couldn't use some fine tuning, Carl,
and your point is well taken.  She merely suggested that the ordinance is
not per se racist/classist.  Or so I interpret her comment(s).

That said, some of the crimes listed below seem less objectionable to me
than others, and I'd be hard-pressed to define some of them in specific
enough terms to be meaningful.

One of the nuisance crimes listed is "public indecency".  I'm reminded of a
former male acquaintance who suddenly, after years of seemingly normal
living, suddenly began exposing himself publicly.  He was arrested several
times, and he ultimately lost his job, his wife, and his son, whereupon he
ended up living with his elderly mother.  On occasion he would be reported
sitting stark naked on his mother's front porch, or wandering in the
neighborhood.  He never harmed a soul, and he obviously had a mental problem
for which there was apparently no effective treatment.  Somehow
criminalizing his behavior didn't (and doesn't) seem to be the proper
answer, and fining his elderly mother the property owner would seem to be
only adding insult to injury.

On the other hand, pretty much any of us living next door to a drug house, a
brothel, a gaming establishment, and/or a house where gang members with
weapons traffic on a regular basis, would probably want something done about
it.  There are currently civil nuisance statutes in Illinois state law,
whereby you can sue the tenant or owner of a property where certain defined
nuisances are taking place.  But the process is cumbersome, the civil suit
must be brought by an affected neighbor/community member (which is obviously
dangerous, or potentially so), and few are aware of the statutes.

I don't know what the precisely proper balance is between upholding civil
liberties and maintaining a decent, safe community.  I don't think anyone
does.  I do know that the City of Urbana is wrestling with a thorny and more
or less universal dilemma, and impugning the motives of the mayor in such a
complex situation seems to generate rather more heat than light.

John