[Fwd: Re: [ronpaul-305] Re: [Peace-discuss] Urbana's WQ seeking ethnic cleansing and more power over property owners.]

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 13 17:13:23 CST 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 02:24:36PM -0800, Jenifer Cartwright wrote:
> Right, fining those engaging in undesirable behavior in an effort to
> eliminate undesirable behavior. The rights of those who are living peaceably
> and considerately trumping the rights of those who aren't. I can't believe
> you have a problem w/ this!
>  --Jenifer

I think the worry is that it pushes the property owners to become enforcers.
That wouldn't necessarily be bad if they were held to the same standards
as public officials.   If it means that landlords don't simply shrug the problem off
if their tenants turn out to be dealing drugs, that's a good thing.

But if the standards are vague ("mob action"?!), and the landlords stand
to get in hot water if they were to let something go but the City
later decides they shouldn't have, that pushes property owners to be
much more restrictive than the City would be, just to reduce their risk.
Demonstration?  Parties that some might consider loud?  "Streetlamp meetings" going on?
Not on *my* property.  And it's mine, so what I say goes.

If the City starts enforcing a nuisance law in questionable cases, at least
people can go complain to the Council.  But if property owners do the enforcement
themselves, clamping down on things that should be permissible,
where do people go for redress?

And of course, the anti-racism angle is that, where middle-class-looking white people
often get the benefit of the doubt, black people more often don't.