[Peace-discuss] Auto bailout - gas guzzlers guzzling more than gas?

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Sun Nov 16 00:06:31 CST 2008

>Its not letting the industry die.  It aint all unhealthy.

That is not what I have heard.  All three auto makers have been hurting at
varying degrees and slowly dying at varying rates. All the Amerikan auto
makers are ranked below the non-Amerikan ones in sales and profits.  GM is
the biggest of the big three and also the one who is bleeding the worst; but
Chrysler is not all that far behind with Ford following Chrysler.  Moreover,
the parts manufacturers and distributors and other auto related businesses
are on the edge and would also begin to fail should any of the big three go
belly up. By the way Chrysler was never nationalized so I fail to see how
that illustrates your point about nationalizing a Zombie company.

I would not be surprised if down the line we start hearing the same from the
airline industry in the US, the tourist industry, the hotel industry, and
others whose status is shaky.  I fear we are seeing the real meaning of a
"trickle down economy."

And yes industries do die from both mismanagement and obsolescence; the auto
industry may be a case of the former as was the iron and steel industry,
whose obsolescence was the result of mismanagement and refusal to upgrade
equipment and facilities.  I do not think that the auto industry as an
industry is obsolescent yet or about to be in the near future.  Obsolescent
industries fail because there no longer is a need for their goods and
services.  If the Amerikan auto industry fails, there will be other auto
industries in other countries that will fill the need and demand for autos
and trucks.