[Peace-discuss] An article of interest

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Tue Nov 18 12:10:33 CST 2008

I offer this for reactions and comments.  I have to wonder about the
reasoning behind such a choice - if indeed it is the decision of Obama.  Is
this part of Obama's attempt to build of coalition of establishment players
in support of his administration?  One has to wonder to what end if this is
the case, since the establishing of such a coalition would effectively
prevent Obama from taking any sort of significant progressive action or
making any sort of major policy changes on behalf of the common man in the
street.  We already see this with the new attempts to construct a national
security court system, the bailouts, and his appointments and/or
considerations for appopintment.  Every wonder why Obama is not considering
Chomsky, Howard Zinn, or Bernie Sanders for a position of authority in his
administration rather than Emanual, Clinton, and the others.

>From Truthout:

Obama Team Signals No War Crimes Prosecution http://www.truthout.org/111808J
Lara Jakes Jordan, The Associated Press: "Barack Obama's incoming
administration is unlikely to bring criminal charges against government
officials who authorized or engaged in harsh interrogations of suspected
terrorists during the George W. Bush presidency. Obama, who has criticized
the use of torture, is being urged by some constitutional scholars and human
rights groups to investigate possible war crimes by the Bush administration.
Two Obama advisers said there's little - if any - chance that the incoming
president's Justice Department will go after anyone involved in authorizing
or carrying out interrogations that provoked worldwide outrage."