[Peace-discuss] some things AWARE might call on the Obama...

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sat Nov 29 09:56:47 CST 2008

On Sat, Nov 29, 2008 at 12:41:29AM -0600, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
> 	Four reasons Obama won't close the controversial prison soon.
> 	Dan Ephron
> 	NEWSWEEK
>
> The detention center at Guantanamo Bay and the flawed justice system
> created to try terrorist suspects held there are among the most complicated
> legacies of the Bush administration. They're Obama's problem now. The
> president elect has said he will shutter Gitmo and put some of the
> detainees on trial in American criminal courts or military courts martial
> (his campaign did not return calls seeking comment.) But the prisoner mess
> created by Bush with the stroke of a pen in November 2001, and made messier
> over seven years, will take time and resourcefulness to clean up. Here are
> four reasons the controversial facility will probably still be open for
> business a year from now.

Grr.

It shouldn't be that hard to work out what to do with the detainees.
If their home countries will no longer accept them, offer them US resident alien
status with promise of citizenship.  It's the least we can do.  Try those
few for which we have evidence of crimes.  For those where we don't,
or for those who are acquitted, give them compensation for their
imprisonment, including English language training if they desire,
and release them.