[Peace-discuss] some things AWARE might call on the Obama...

Morton K. Brussel brussel at illinois.edu
Sat Nov 29 11:40:14 CST 2008

> Grr.
>
> It shouldn't be that hard to work out what to do with the detainees.
> If their home countries will no longer accept them, offer them US
> resident alien
> status with promise of citizenship.  It's the least we can do.  Try
> those
> few for which we have evidence of crimes.  For those where we don't,
> or for those who are acquitted, give them compensation for their
> imprisonment, including English language training if they desire,
> and release them.

There must be somewhere willing to accept them and to which they
would willingly go.

Yes, they should be compensated  for their long and unjust
incarceration. Unless caught in U.S. territory for verifiable crimes
committed there, they should never have been captured and imprisoned
in the first place: We never should have been, had a right to be,
where probably most were  captured. We never should have accepted
those who were handed over to us by suspect régimes.
…
A vexing mess, but Guantanamo and its auxiliaries must be closed
down, pronto.

--mkb