[Peace-discuss] Who bailed out...

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Oct 5 19:59:06 CDT 2008

[It seems to me that entirely too much time is being spent on Palin (= a
distraction from a distraction, if we think the question of whom we're killing
is important).  But in fact Cockburn has some interesting things to say about
her and her prospects, below.  --CGE]

...Our brave pwogs have spared Biden and savaged Palin. As Steve Conn, a retired
professor at the University of Alaska, who  lived in the state from 1972 until
2007, wrote on our site, about the probable boomerang effect from trashing Sarah
Palin:

     "It’s amazing how quickly Alaskan liberals bought into the new Palin story,
dismissing the recent past as if it had never happened.  If Palin had come to
Juneau with an agenda crafted in her church basement, cultural lines would have
been drawn and no attacks on the Big Oil hegemony would have occurred. And state
Democrats, who may have looked down their noses at Valley Trash, just like Ben
[Stevens], were smart enough to keep their mouths shut and find common ground
while old-line Republicans leaders looked over their shoulders for subpoenas
flowing from their overly cozy relations with VECO, the oil service company. To
the dismay of oil company executives, she formed a working coalition with
Democrats who represent West Anchorage’s well-paid liberals among unionized
public employees and the professions."

And indeed, Palin spoke harshly of Exxon and Conoco Phillips in the Thursday
debate.  Sarah Palin could still end up as a footnote to history, the same way
way Geraldine Ferraro did, after the Mondale-Ferraro ticket plummeted to defeat
in 1984 when Ronald Reagan won his second term. Or she could be back in the
coming years as a major Republican player on the national scene.

As the pick of those betting on the latter proposition, Palin did herself a
favor on Thursday night. After widely criticized interviews with Gibson of ABC
and Couric of CBS she put up a spirited performance. She showed that just like
Ronald Reagan she might be shaky on the fine print but knows how to write the
headlines.

The giant issues in America today are the economy and the $700 billion bailout.
No one outside the professional Commentariat really wants to know whether Sarah
Palin is capable of waging nuclear war  or frying Afghan “terrorists”.  They
want a sense that there’s someone in the political tier who sounds like a human
being with the same concerns as them, starting with the fear that their local
bank will lock its doors in the morning.

In their debate last week neither Obama nor McCain passed this simple test.
Biden, a silver-haired denizen of Washington in his sixth, six-year term, tried
to offer himself as worried Joe Sixpack from Scranton, PA, prowling around Home
Depot,  but the act was thin. Palin, despite somewhat excessive folksiness, with
“gosh-darneds” and the like, did sound  as though she and Todd really had spent
some time at their kitchen table in the not-too-distant past figuring out how to
pay the bills and deciding they couldn’t afford health insurance.

This was no faltering Palin unable to tell Katie Couric which newspaper she
read. This was a Palin fiercely denouncing, at least half a dozen across 90
minutes,  “the corruption on Wall Street”, about which  Biden remained  silent.
Alone of the four candidates, she spoke to the fury and fear of Main St America
about the bailout.

     Ifill: Now, let's talk about -- the next question is to talk about the
subprime lending meltdown.

     Who do you think was at fault? I start with you, Gov. Palin. Was it the
greedy lenders? Was it the risky home-buyers who shouldn't have been buying a
home in the first place? And what should you be doing about it?

     Palin: Darn right it was the predator lenders, who tried to talk Americans
into thinking that it was smart to buy a $300,000 house if we could only afford
a $100,000 house. There was deception there, and there was greed and there is
corruption on Wall Street.

If John McCain had issued similar denunciations in his debate, and campaigned
against the bailout across the last ten days in Washington and voted No in the
US senate, his campaign would not now be in a truly desperate situation.
Americans are living through the last months of an awful 8-year Republican
presidency and McCain has offered them nothing.  Crucial  “battleground states”
like Pennsylvania are tilting decisively towards the Democrats. Only the unknown
race factor could trip Obama now.

On present trends, the McCain-Palin ticket is doomed, just as the Republican
presidential campaign of another Arizonan senator, Barry Goldwater,  was crushed
by  Lyndon Johnson, in 1964. Yet that defeat was the making of Ronald Reagan,
who stole every right-wing Republican heart with his speech for Goldwater in the
party convention that year. Two years later, Reagan was governor of California.
Twelve years later in 1976,  he was challenging an incumbent Republican
president, Gerald Ford. In 1980 he won the presidency.

More than once, last night, I thought Palin must have been watching re-runs of
Reagan’s speeches, though decades of deference to Hollywood tycoons made Reagan
far more respectful of Wall Street than the Alaskan governor. Her first national
political foray may have only a month to run, but on Thursday night she won
herself a long-term political future. Populism comes in many different garments.
The bailout, voted through this last week by Obama and Biden and the Democrats,
showed the party has lost the capability even of deception, even of the pretense
that it is the friend of the working people. (And yes, Palin is the only person
on the campaign trail from whose lips I have heard the increasingly unfamiliar
term “working class”.) Palin has a lot to learn, but in the years ahead, amid
the bankruptcy of the liberal left, her strain of populism will have an eager
audience.

As Brecht ... wrote, “What happens to the holes when the cheese is gone?”
Byron's Mazeppa, quoted by [James] Connolly, gave an answer:

"But time at last makes all things even,
And if we do but watch the hour,
There never yet was human power
That could evade, if unforgiven,
The patient hate and vigil long,