[Peace-discuss] The money was there all along

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 17 12:58:18 CDT 2008

I believe it was Soros who pointed out that as the stock market bubble
grew, production went down, i.e., the stock market rise was having the
opposite of its oft-claimed effect.

I am somewhat mystified by the repeated statements I've heard of the
extraordinary productivity of the American worker. Does anybody know where
this comes from? As was intimated by Laurie, the main increase in American
"productivity" seems to be in the area of "paper". I have no doubt that
productivity is going up, but this would seem to be a world-wide effect due
to improved technology, not a peculiarly American thing.

Bob