[Peace-discuss] The money was there all along

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Fri Oct 17 15:29:17 CDT 2008

>As was intimated by Laurie, the main increase in American
>"productivity" seems to be in the area of "paper".

(Smile)  And we aren't even producing paper to any large degree anymore.
Most of our paper is also being manufactured and imported from elsewhere.
But I do know that you are not talking about the actual production of
"paper" per se but the production of a virtual reality in which all this
bookkeeping based productivity is a virtual reality in its own right without
any need for external tangible empirical goods and services as a referent.
To be sure world-wide expansion and use of improved technology has accounted
for some of the "productivity" that the figures reveal just because it now
enables us to count things that we could not isolate and count previously
under the older technologies.  However, since consumption levels have their
restraints due to the size of the world-wide population, their ability to
afford buying goods and services, as well as their need to acquire more than
a couple of each item or service being offered, productivity would be
limited if it were not for conspicuous planned obsolescence by the providers
who either deliver inferior short lived products or promote via advertising
the purchase of new versions of the same old thing where only a few new
additional gadgets and gimmicks have been added to make its purchases a
fashion statement showing that one has kept up with the Jones.  Thus, the
productivity in terms of actual production of tangible items or services
even with conspicuous planned obsolescence turns out to be not very
productive in terms of useful activity and effort and to be more wastage
than productivity.  But ignoring that, you are right that productivity has
increased due to the fact that technology has replaced human workers in many
areas.  It can function 24/7 without the need for too many breaks other than
a few maintenance time outs and without any additional costs in wages or
benefits.   But one does have to wonder how many of those electronic and
mechanical robots that are becoming the technological workers in our society
will have a need for or the money to buy the products and services they are
producing.