[Peace-discuss] local issues

Marti Wilkinson martiwilki at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 13:52:43 CDT 2008

The current Illinois Constitution also protects the pensions of state and
college employees. Considering the direction that our economy is taking it
would be prudent to not mess with it.

Champaign Garden Hills - The city and school board want to create a "magnet"
school in the area and part of the proposal involves expanding the current
building. The school and the park are on the same parcel of land - I don't
know how familiar people are with GH, but the park itself doesn't offer much
in the way of activities. It is however a good location to walk the dog. So
I would venture to say that any expansion that includes room for community
events may be a good compromise. My father is facing open heart surgery so I
wasn't able to attend the last GH neighborhood association meeting.

The treatment of Linda Abernathy is an issue in of itself. The city
government of Champaign has a different structure than Urbana and compared
to similar sized communities the township is vastly underfunded. How members
of the city council have treated Linda has shown a great deal of
unprofessional behavior and it reflects poorly on the current council.

I would also like to point out that the current makeup of the council board
is comprised of individuals who have never had to face some of the issues
that township recipients deal with on a day by day basis.  Can you imagine
what would happen if Marci Dodds and her family were forced to buy groceries
with the Link card? One of the basic social constructions of priviledge is
the tendency to be blind to the realities faced by less fortunate
individuals.  It's easy to have a 'pull up by the bootstraps' perspective
when one is equipped with a pair of shoes. What Linda sees in her office on
a day by day basis is far different than the reality of what the mayor and
council members encounter. I think its important to note that the township
and the city are housed in different buildings so there is an element of
physical segregation that adds to the social and cultural divisions as well.

Marti