[Peace-discuss] local issues

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 22 12:53:37 CDT 2008

Unless persuaded otherwise, I'll vote for the constitutional convention and
against the sales tax increase.

*Some of the opposition to the constitutional convention looks like coming from
those who fear Hamilton's "great beast." The attitude seems to be that politics
should remain under the control of competent professionals -- God knows what
might happen if you let the redneck majority get their hands on it.  But it
seems to me that Jefferson's balanced comment should guide us, if we take
democracy seriously, when he distinguished between "Those who fear and distrust
the people, and wish to draw all powers from them into the hands of the higher
classes [and] Those who identify themselves with the people, have confidence in
them, cherish and consider them as the most honest and safe, although not the
most wise depositary of the public interests."

*Sales taxes are regressive.  The objection that this one is for school
facilities (a good thing) doesn't overcome that problem, because in fact it may
not indeed go to the schools.  As Dianna Visek pointed out in a good comment in
the N-G two weeks ago, "When the General Assembly instituted a state lottery, it
promised to use the money for education.  Although it was indeed used for
education, the Legislature reduced the school money coming from the General Fund
by the same amount ... Whatever money we raise locally will end up reducing the
money coming from the state."  --CGE