[Peace-discuss] Eyes Only: AWARE. In re AOTA

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 21 21:57:37 CDT 2008

Some thoughts about "AWARE on the Air," as it has developed in recent weeks:

(N.B.: these notes are meant only for the Made Members of AWARE [hence the Eyes
Only designation] -- altho' Wayne may remind us that Māde [妈的] is the  most
common Chinese vulgar curse word...)

As the audience for AOTA increases exponentially, we need to think about how we
do it. In what my shrink friends call "regression in defense of the ego," I
propose a model from my intellectual infancy: the graduate seminar.

It has happened (undoubtedly under the influence of the redoubtable gods of the
air) that people have been bringing quite brilliant comments to the Tuesday
tapings of AOTA. Linda, Ron and Wayne did that today, and Karen and I added our
animadversions.

I suggest that we formalize this arrangement just a bit, in order that each
comment get its proper consideration; that after each comment the others present
reflect on it seriatim (with of course the presenter given time to respond if
s/he wishes); and that each discussion occupy a proportionate amount of the time
available, after the initial summary of recent and upcoming local events. There
is of course no reason to be illiberal in this arrangement.

All AWAREists are encouraged to come and participate, with the understanding
that you will get a (roughly) equal share of the time, according to the
principle of "from each of you according to your means, to each of you according
to your needs" -- subject only to the "conditions of concision" imposed by that
fell sergeant, Time.

It's only an hour's program.  Come join us: tell the truth, and shame the devil.

Yr. obdt. servt., CGE