[Peace-discuss] Eyes Only: AWARE. In re AOTA

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 22 16:26:22 CDT 2008

Damn right -- I hadn't heard of SLC's remark and so used to tell my students
just to avoid intensifiers...

I think our viewership probably amounts to not much more than twain (and they've
probably met).

Is the remark by Twain on statisticians, "There are three kinds of lies: lies,
damned lies, and statistics"?  (I gather he attributed it to Disraeli, a proper
politician.)

Auden riffed on the theme in his advice to students, the wonderful "Under Which
Lyre - A Reactionary Tract for the Times":

     "Thou shalt not answer questionnaires
     Or quizzes upon World-Affairs,
         Nor with compliance
     Take any test. Thou shalt not sit