[Peace-discuss] Naomi Klein

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Fri Oct 31 13:21:11 CDT 2008

For those of you who were unable to hear Naomi Klein speak during her visit
this week, her columns are archived at http://www.naomiklein.org.

She described a liberation movement for international corporations, carried
out over decades by violence and stealth, starting in Chile with Pinochet
The intent was to liberate international corporations from the constraints
of democracy and from the rule of law. It is, she stated, not really
ideological, although neoliberalism is often promoted as its ideology. It
is simply about power and greed, as is evidenced in the ongoing "bailout"
fiasco as the liberation movement finally returns home to the United States.

One of the most interesting things I've seen in my life is the consensus
that is developing between the democratic left and the democratic right.
Klein, who is self-described as from the left, recommends "suspicion of the
state" as crucial to the success of democracy, a statement that any
Libertarian would heartily endorse.

Bob