[Peace-discuss] Mike Gravel on Palin

Matt Reichel mattreichel at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 3 13:01:33 CDT 2008

I think Gravel intends for there to be a lot more irony in this piece than is evident at first read.

You must remember that Gravel's presidential campaign was treated disparagingly in the mainstream press largely because of his views that are far to the left of the American media establishment. They treated him as a silly old man trying to propel himself into the White House from the insignificant post of Senator of the sparsely populated and distant land of Alaska. Quite ironic then that an Alaskan is now on the ballot to be the country's first female vice-president.

Furthermore, the corporate press corps readily judge candidates on their corporate credentials by combing them for "experience." In this vein, Gravel was certainly in-experienced, since all he did was stand up to the military industrial complex by ending the draft almost single-handedly and by forcing the release of the Pentagon Papers.
If this is the criteria used to judge one's experience, then obviously "inexperienced" is preferred to "experienced."

I would suggest that the question of these presidential elections is one of priorities. Where are the priorities of the American left? For me, the principal issue is the control of American government and public space by corporations, especially the military industrial complex. This is the root issue for me: as long as a handful of greedy military contractors continue to plunder our substance, wealth will continue to accelerate upwards while bankrupting our schools, housing programs, libraries, and assuring that universal health care will never be achieved.

Many of the other "left-liberal" issues are mere cosmetic politically-correct issues. Casting one's vote solely on abortion, for example, is clearly a way to bring women and progressive men into the cosmopolitan wing of Wall Street via a vote for the Democrats. The worst case scenario for abortion is that the Supreme Court repeals Roe vs Wade (VERY unlikely with any court), which would result in the states taking on the Abortion question. Liberal states like Mass, Illinois, California, etc would allow abortions, while the bible belt wouldn't. This is essentially what exists in Europe, where most countries permit abortions, though a few heavily Catholic ones, such as Ireland, do not.

-
Matt

CC: peace-discuss at anti-war.netFrom: mkbrussel at comcast.netSubject: Re: [Peace-discuss] Mike Gravel on PalinDate: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 12:22:05 -0500To: mattreichel at hotmail.com
Gravel sounds deluded. His thesis is that ignorance is bliss. Sarah Palin's incorruptibility, with recent revelations, seems not so clear after all. He should have waited a bit before writing….
The implication of all the rants on this listserve against Obama-Biden is that  it's better to have a McCain-Palin executive than one of Obama-Biden. Or, really, it doesn't matter.

Incidentally, do you believe Palin to be less belligerent and corporate than Biden, as Gravel suggests? I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Or maybe you favor her antiabortion, creationist, NRA, energy, environmental,… positions, which Gravel sloughs off as an afterthought. ?   --mkb