[Peace-discuss] Are we all neo-imperialists now?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 8 11:10:21 CDT 2008

[On this as on other matters a Democratic administration will probably bring no
change in policy: "I have consistently called for deepening relations between
Georgia and transatlantic institutions, including a Membership Action Plan for
NATO, and we must continue to press for that deeper relationship" --Barack
Obama, 8/11/08. As Obama calls for more US and Nato troops to increase the
killing in Afghanistan, he surely must be regarded as one of the
neo-imperialists to whom the letter refers. --CGE]

	The News-Gazette.com
	NATO expansion invites instability
	Friday September 5, 2008

An irony of the political status of the Caucasus breakaway regions is that their
inclusion into Georgia dates only to the Russian revolution. Ossetia was
incorporated in first days at the behest of Stalin, a Georgian. Abkhazia was
annexed some time later while Stalin ruled directly.

This history makes Dick Cheney's bellicosity about sovereign nations ludicrous
as well as hypocritical. But he is off to the region to advocate restoration of
boundaries, inclusion in NATO and perhaps a personal share in the pipelines.

Both McCain and Biden advocated for the expansion of NATO in Senate debates
during Clinton's second term, subsequently passed by Congress. But this debate
also brought George Kennan, the architect of Cold War "containment," to warn
that "expanding NATO would be the most fateful error of American policy in the
entire post-Cold War era." He concluded that such action would "impel Russian
foreign policy in directions decidedly not to our liking."

Indeed, during the presidency of George H.W. Bush and after the unification of
Germany, Secretary of State James Baker promised that NATO expansion would not
be pursued. The reversal of this pledge has had the results that Kennan predicted.

The U.S. and the world are now less secure with the confrontational mentality
that is implicit in the NATO structure. The current course condemns us to a new
Cold War with Russia.

NATO should be more accurately named the North Atlantic and Mediterranean,
Baltic, Black, and Caspian Seas Treaty Organization. With NATO troops in
Afghanistan, it is clear that U.S. neo-imperialists regard the entire earth as
their sphere of influence.

PAUL MUETH

Urbana
Find this article at:
http://www.news-gazette.com/news/opinions/letters/2008/09/05/nato_expansion_invites_instability
Comments

The News-Gazette.com, The East Central Illinios Online source for news and
advertising

Contents of this site are © Copyright 2008 The News-Gazette, Inc. All rights
reserved.