[Peace-discuss] Fw: Why Vote?

LAURIE LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Mon Sep 8 13:25:04 CDT 2008

Quite possibly because Amerikans would view this as "foreign meddling",
unlike when we insist on it or do it in other nations, an intrusion into our
sacrosanct "sovereignty", unlike when we manipulate and manage other
nation's elections, and an attempt to undermine the Amerikan way.  Besides,
what makes you so sure that Amerikans want "free" and "fair" elections,
would accept and do anything about it if these monitors found the elections
not to be "free" and/or "fair", and or would allow the monitors free and
complete unfettered access to all the aspects and components of the process?
What would preclude the monitors from becoming like the embedded reporters
in Iraq who were allowed to see only what the military wanted them to see?

Even before elections became the high tech affairs that they now are,
Amerikan officials have been manipulating them here and abroad through more
obvious traditional methods. The general public turned a blind eye or were
unconcerned; now that high tech elections and manipulations have come into
play, the manipulations are more sophisticated and even less obvious -
better hidden in the complexities of technology that many of the public do
not understand and try to avoid dealing with.  They are even less likely to
be upset or concerned with achieving actual "free and fair" elections as
long as the illusion and appearance of "free and fair" elections is not
destroyed.

But I assume that you were not proposing this seriously but as a rhetorical
and ironical suggestion.