[Peace-discuss] Curbing Urban Sprawl: What, Why, and How

Tom Abram tabram at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 21:17:59 CDT 2008

Curbing Urban Sprawl: What, Why, and How
Presentation and Discussion with Professor Brian Deal

Land development has been increasing rapidly on the fringes of
Champaign-Urbana, encroaching
on some of the richest farmland in the world.  Consequences include lost
natural resources, increased
transportation time and energy, and inadequate services.  However, there are
ways to reverse this
trend and improve the quality of life for the citizens of our community,
while preserving our resources.
Learn more about urban sprawl, why we must deal with it, and how we can
tackle this pressing issue.

Dr. Brian Deal is an Assistant Professor of Urban and Regional Planning at
the University of Illinois.
His research interests include the study of sustainability and urban land
use transformation. He is the
Director of the Smart Energy Design Assistance Center at UI, the Director of
Research at Robert
Allerton Park, and the Director of the Land use Evolution and impact
Assessment Modeling (LEAM)
Laboratory, an interdisciplinary laboratory dedicated to the study of the
spatio-temporal dynamics of
land-use change and their social, economic, and environmental consequences.

Monday, September 15th at 7:30pm
Urbana Free Library Auditorium
210 W Green St

Green Tea Discussions
Sponsored by the Prairie Green Party

A different topic every third Monday of the month - same time and location.
Membership meetings
are on the first Monday of the month at 7:30pm in the Family Room of the
Independent Media
Center at 202 S Broadway in Urbana.  Learn more and join the party at
www.prairiegreens.org

Your 2008 Green County Board Candidates:
Walter Pituc, District 7 - votewalter.org
Joe Futrelle, District 8 - joefutrelle.org
Mike Lehman, District 9 - lehmanforagreencounty.org

Please consider the environment when attending this event:
Bike, Walk, Use the MTD, or Carpool