[Peace-discuss] From the right: Obama attacks Bush on war

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 9 16:47:13 CDT 2008

[Bush actually used the word "theaters" in his speech today, and Obama speaks of
"fronts" -- both admitting that Iraq and Afghanistan are parts of the same war,
altho' neither is candid about the goal of that war: they pretend that it's to
"stop terrorism," for which purpose it is manifestly counterproductive.  Every
Pakistani family savaged by US ground troops, every Afghan bride killed with her
family by a US drone or airstrike, produces more "terrorists." The US goal is
that of the Germans in France in WWII: crush the resistance to military control
of the region. And Obama here condemns Bush (and McCain) for not being
belligerent enough in AfPAK (altho' Gates has been working strenuously to insure
more deaths in each country: Obama may keep him on).  --CGE]

	The Caucus - A New York Times Blog
	September 9, 2008, 1:47 pm
	War at Home
	By Kate Phillips

...Mr. Bush announced his decision on future force levels in Iraq, which
includes withdrawing a full brigade of combat troops in the first few weeks of
2009, in an address on Tuesday to the National Defense University here. The text
of his speech was released late Monday by the White House.

Neither the Marine battalion nor the Army brigade will be replaced, leaving the
American combat force in Iraq at 14 brigades. After other support and logistics
units are withdrawn under the new orders, the American troop levels in Iraq
would drop to about 138,000 by March, still several thousand more than were
there in January 2007, when Mr. Bush announced the “surge” that brought the
total over 160,000.

...the president also said that troop levels in Afghanistan would be increased
by 4,500 ... Bush’s announcement of a modest change was based on the guidance
and recommendations of military commanders on the ground, including General
David Petraeus, as well as from Admiral Mike Mullen, the chairman of the joint
chiefs, and Defense Secretary Robert Gates.

Senator Barack Obama, the Democratic presidential nominee, was the first of the
candidates to discuss Mr. Bush’s announcement earlier today:

"...President Bush also announced additional troops for Afghanistan. I am glad
that the President is moving in the direction of the policy that I’ve advocated
for years [sic]. But the most substantial increase will come when an additional
Army brigade is deployed five months from now – in February, after the President
has left office. His plan comes up short – it is not enough troops, and not
enough resources, with not enough urgency.

"What President Bush and Senator McCain don’t understand is that the central
front in the war on terror is not in Iraq, and it never was – the central front
is in Afghanistan and Pakistan, where the terrorists who hit us on 9/11 are
still plotting attacks seven years later. Today, the Taliban is on the
offensive, al Qaeda has a new sanctuary, and its leaders are putting out
videotapes [We certainly have the stop THAT! --CGE]. Yet under President Bush’s
plan, we still have nearly four times the number of troops in Iraq than
Afghanistan, and we have no comprehensive plan to deal with the al Qaeda
sanctuary in northwest Pakistan..."