[Peace-discuss] We agree with Ron Paul: McKinney, Baldwin, Nader

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 11:41:45 CDT 2008

  The National Debt:
"We believe that there should be no increase in the national debt. The
burden of debt placed on the next generation is unjust and already
threatening our economy and the value of our dollar. We must pay our
bills as we go along and not unfairly place this burden on a future
generation."
  I'm surprised Nader or McKinney would agree to this one. Increasing the national debt is not the issue, but how the money that is borrowed is being invested; for example, for war on the one hand or infrastructure on the other. Also, the debt and the interests payments that result from it can increase without increasing the relative burden on the economy. The key is what percentage of our GDP, or what percentage of the federal budget, is spent on interest payments.

  It would be more to the point to say that money should not be borrowed to pay for war and occupation, but the point is that we shouldn't be doing those things, rather not increasing the debt. Indeed the debt should be increased, bigtime, to pay for reparations to Iraq, Afghanistan, Haiti, etc., among many other things.