[Peace-discuss] Randall's news proposals

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 19 17:32:15 CDT 2008

I'm concentrating on the Public i, and will only occasionally be at AWARE
meetings. I wanted to make a few comments regarding Randall's proposals,
since I may not be able to make this Sunday's meeting.

I don't find Carl's "News of the Week" useful. I already keep up with the
news, and the speculation largely seems to assume conspiracies. There are
members who feel otherwise, however.

The simplest solution is to start meetings on time. Those who don't find
the presentation useful can then show up 15 minutes late. Holding the
meeting till everyone shows up short-circuits this simple option.

If the meeting format is changed so that everyone contributes, as proposed,
I don't think Randall's limit of 10 minutes per person makes sense in a 15
minute segment of a meeting with maybe 20 people. A minute or two per
person makes a lot more sense, with remaining time allocated as the
facilitator sees fit.

Bob