[Peace-discuss] Randall's news proposals

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 19 21:01:07 CDT 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bob Illyes" <illyes at uiuc.edu>
To: <peace-discuss at lists.chambana.net>
Sent: Friday, September 19, 2008 5:32 PM
Subject: [Peace-discuss] Randall's news proposals

: If the meeting format is changed so that everyone contributes, as
proposed,
: I don't think Randall's limit of 10 minutes per person makes sense in a
15
: minute segment of a meeting with maybe 20 people. A minute or two per
: person makes a lot more sense, with remaining time allocated as the
: facilitator sees fit.

To clarify, the 10 minutes is just a maximum. It only means that if there
isn't sufficient material to fill 15 minutes, then an individual would
normally not have more than 10 minutes. I think a typical scenario might
be one or two people have a couple minutes of material and Carl has 10
minutes and thus the "news of the week" section lasts 14 minutes. But if
the total time requested comes out to more than 15 minutes, then obviously
the time will need to be fairly allocated (or the facilitator could just
extend the "news of the week" section to allow for all the material if
there is no objection).

I'm not sure the "starting on time" suggestion would resolve the
outstanding objections and it may even be objectionable to some. In my
estimation, the primary objection is not that those complaining don't
personally want to hear anything Carl has to say, but rather that they
want to make room for other points of view and don't want a pre-ordained
reservation to a specific person. I could be wrong, though and if so I
hope others will correct me.

: Bob
:
: Peace-discuss mailing list