[Peace-discuss] Tell them No

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 22 10:45:59 CDT 2008

	Glenn Greenwald
	MONDAY SEPT. 22, 2008 07:47 EDT
	Growing right-wing opposition to the Paulson plan

"...Congressional Democrats, while largely on board with the fundamentals of the
bailout plan, have been making noises about demanding some limits and oversight
on how this fund is managed ... Democrats typically make noises of this type and
then capitulate at the end if they stand alone. This Paulson bill can be stopped
only with widespread opposition that cuts across the standard
ideological/partisan lines, and it shouldn't be that hard to argue why handing
over $700 billion to the very people who caused this disaster, while allowing
them to walk away soaked with profits, is not a good idea, and that vesting
unlimited power in the Bush administration to manage that is a particularly bad
idea...

"A Rasmussen Reports poll released today found that "most Americans are closely
following news reports on the Bush Administration's federal bailout plan for the
country’s troubled economy, but just 28% support what has been proposed so far."
Thirty-seven percent oppose it and 35% are unsure ... this bailout -- like the
FISA gutting and telecom amnesty which preceded it -- has no real constituency
beyond the Washington establishment. That the public is so opposed and/or primed
to oppose it more doesn't mean this won't pass -- we don't exactly have a
substantial connection between what Washington does and public opinion -- but it
does provide an important foundation for derailing this if political leaders
decide they should or must."

Read the whole article at http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/