[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Draft ordinance in Urbana first step to decriminalization

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 22 15:08:58 CDT 2008

Wayne Johnson writes regarding marijuana use: "Do you think that making it
a ticketable offense will decrease or increase the rate of Police
Intervention? It seems to me that it might increase the rate of
intervention since if it becomes a ticketable offense and hence a new
source of easily captured revenue for the never satisfied maw of the
City.  They will be able to write a ticket which is more easily processed
than the criminal offense of common use that is presently oft ignored,
hence they may intervene more often.

Why is it important that policy be standardized rather than left to the
officer who might decide to show mercy?"

By your line of argument, Wayne, we should generally allow charges way out
of proportion to the crime (which we unfortunately do) just to allow police
officers to show mercy. Maybe we should legalize summary execution, so the
police could be congratulated for not killing people??? Excessive penalties
for crimes is a basic ingredient of the police state. Given your
libertarian stance on issues, I have to suspect that your "mercy" argument
is not serious.

The city might make more money with the tickets for marijuana use, but the
damage done by the current system is inestimably greater, not the least of
which is its susceptibility to charging based on profiling of all sorts,
i.e., if the officer doesn't like your looks or attitude, God help you. It
can amount to rudeness becoming a felony (which I confess I sometimes feel
it should be, but never THINK it should be).

Bob