[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] Draft ordinance in Urbana first step to decriminalization

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Tue Sep 23 14:30:32 CDT 2008

/Primum non nocere/  "First, do no harm."

I really am not quite certain what were the intentions of those who
crafted our present drug laws.
I also cannot say if things have become perverted beyond the original
intent, since I don't know the original intent
of the authors, whether they were in fact well-meaning people or people
who were just plain mean.

There are lots of good reasons not to use recreational drugs, among
which are putting
childish things behind one's self.  I would advise against the use of
recreational drugs, as
they can make you sick, and can become a serious impediment to clear
thinking.  Using drugs
is not a particularly good life choice, and it takes quite a while to
fully recover from the effects of some drugs.
It is in effect a controlled poisoning which the body recovers from in time.
The fleeting glimpse of counterfeit infinity is not worth the price of
being temporarily poisoned, in my opinion.

On the other hand, if the person who voluntarily intoxicates himself
with alcohol or any other drug
does so in a way that it causes no harm to others, what business is that
of mine?  I would definitely disagree
that the impairment from THC in driving is equivalent to that from a
depressant like alcohol.  It's nonsense
to suggest that they are equivalent.  However, I do see it as important
that drivers and public servants do not go about
stoned or drunk.

However, the negative consequences of the War on (some) Drugs do
certainly approach
if not exceed any possible negative consequences of unrestrained
unregulated drug use.
Further, the War on Drugs has become the bread-and-butter of the
legal-judicial-punitive/incarceration-industrial complex
just as the War on Terror is the money machine of the
military-industrial complex.

The war on terror needs victims and cannon fodder, likewise the war on
drugs needs volunteers willing to step
forward and give their lives for the cause of Sobriety, and by
incarcerating them, kicking them around, and levying fines on their
already tortured lives we can all feel a little bit more Sober, too.

And in the cause of Sobriety, good Americans are willing to open their
wallets and coffers of government
to hire more paramilitary thugs to scour and ravage our communities;
construct more courthouses, citadels and holding pens
for America's social culls, misfits and miscreants; hire more attorneys,
clerks, secretaries, and guards; buy more security
equipment; more police cars, bicycles, and hay burners; create more jobs
in remote places (laid off coalminers become
prison workers), ...on and on...  And it all starts when someone lights
up a joint...Behold, how great a matter a little
fire kindleth!  It's big business and deja vu all over again!

The war on drugs is a racket, a scam, a pretext for legalized robbery in
the name of the law.

So if you want to reform or abolish the drug laws, you are not only
going to threaten precious jobs in Hardin, Perry, Pope, Massac, ...ad
nauseam counties,
and you will diminish the authoritative power of the Police State and
the industries that serve it  more than just a little bit.

The beneficiaries of the War on Drugs aren't going to take opposition to
their scamming us in a sitting down position,
no matter how unjust, ridiculous, stupid, expensive, wasteful, immoral,
or futile the war on drugs is.