[Peace-discuss] U of I ethics says employees cannot wearpoliticalbuttons

Karen Medina kmedina at illinois.edu
Fri Sep 26 14:22:57 CDT 2008

> I think the chilling effect remains.

University property is public property. Restricting free speech anywhere is a
problem, but especially on public property.

I suppose a business can fire an employee for not abiding by a dress code or for
offending the clients by wearing political buttons. But it is not an ethics issue
and not an issue of legality.

And, on another aspect of the issue, surely even employees of a business can be
politically active after work or drive their personal vehicle to work with bumper
stickers on it.

Cary is right on all his points too. Thank goodness we have him.

-karen medina

>> It seems everyone feels many will disregard the ludicrous, over-reaching
>> restrictions and that there will be no enforcement. But as long as the
>> original memo is not revoked or amended, I think the chilling effect
>> remains.

>Yes, absolutely.  And an unenforced rule is worse, as it opens the way for
>selective enforcement.  If enforced, there'd be more focused opposition to this
>thing, and it would likely be overturned.  But as it stands, it might stay on
>the books indefinitely, and get exercised only against people for whom there's
>little public sympathy, while chilling the rest of us, as you say.

gazette.com/news/2008/09/25/restrictions_on_politicking_upset_ui_faculty