[Peace-discuss] Re: [Peace] "News of the week" meeting format

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Sep 28 13:26:14 CDT 2008

Barbara et al.--

Two or three discussions of this matter are at least two or three too many.

Of course it's worthwhile, in fact necessary, for people committed to opposing
war and racism to work to correct the programmatic misrepresentation of these
matters that we receive.  In the absence of an accurate analysis of the
situation, the best will in the world can do something helpful only by accident.

To get an accurate analysis, we have to use the critical faculties contained in
the group, and obviously the way to do that is by discussion, both written and
viva voce. (And it surely has not escaped the attention of our rulers in general
that people who work long hours and are anxious about their circumstances can
spend less time doing such things.  The anti-war movement of the 1960s arose in
part from the greater prosperity and relative economic equality of that decade
in comparison with this one. Americans had the leisure to do politics. The
regime is trying not to make that mistake again.)

Thank you for the kind word about the summaries I've done for past meetings, but
I'm afraid some minor health issues (and not just the 'Skins-'Boys game this
afternoon at 3pm) will prevent me from attending this evening's meeting.
(Metaphorically enough, I've having some vision problems.)

If I were to do a summary today, I'd stress

[1] The continuation the US war in the Middle East, under all the persiflage
about the bailout -- particularly in AfPak, where US helicopters and the
Pakistani military exchanged fire again this week.  In regard to the war that
the USG clearly intends to carry on into the next year and beyond, the
presidential election is almost entirely irrelevant (except as a distraction for
the public -- note the disappearance of war news from the "news hole"). If we're
going to oppose that war, we should try to understand what it is and why it
continues.  The confusion about the matter is so great that even many in the
anti-war movement are saying, "Well, we can't just withdraw from Afghanistan,
and we have to protect out troops there" -- by attacking Pakistan...

[2] The American Psychiatric Association's assertion that the Pentagon has
reneged on an agreement not to use psychiatrists in "interrogations" at
Guantanamo and its other secret prisons.  The Pentagon gave them the back of
their hand (better than "detainees" get) as SOS Rice casually admitted that the
Bush administration had approved the use of torture in 2002 and 2003. "According
to a written statement provided to the Senate Armed Services Committee earlier
this month and released on Wednesday by committee chairman Sen. Carl Levin
(D-MI), officials were told that waterboarding and other 'harsh interrogation
measures' ... would not cause 'significant' harm if used on prisoners. Rice's
statement is the first acknowledgment of those meetings by any of the officials
involved. Rice did not name the other officials who were present, but reports
last spring ... mentioned Cheney, Rumsfeld,  Powell, and Ashcroft."  Rep. Tammy
Baldwin (D-WI) has introduced the Executive Branch Accountability Act of 2008,
which calls on the next president to prosecute the Bush administration
torturers.  But you had to look hard for any report of it.

[3] The possibility that what's going on in the "bailout" is a capital strike --
i.e., that just as the major US social issue of the early 20th century was the
demand by labor for better wages and conditions (a demand that was scotched in
part by the Wilson's administration's scheming to get the US involved in the
European war), so the major US social issue of the early 21st century is the
demand by capital for greater returns (a demand that was catered to by the
neoliberal policies of the last several administrations). Capital won't play
anymore unless the concentration of wealth is continued and increased -- even
after a generation of increasing and accelerating inequality in the US.

[4] The curious fact that, while the bankers' demand for $700B from the Treasury
was immediately agreed to by the Democrats and the Republicans in the Senate and
the Democrats in the House of Representatives, the holdouts -- who broke up the
deal last Thursday  -- were the House Republicans, representing the expressed
opinions of their constituents, rather than the peremptory demands of the
economic elite.

I'm not quite sure of the sense in which the current situation constitutes a
"new reality," but you're  certainly right that "we need to start the longer
process of figuring out how we incorporate it into our anti-war(s) work."

(Those four points constitute probably a bit less than 50% of a summary of the
sort that I was in the habit of doing and will perhaps serve as my contribution
to this evening's discussion.)

Regards, CGE