[Peace-discuss] McCain, the peace candidate (on Pakistan)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Sep 28 14:06:43 CDT 2008

It's not too hard to imagine circumstances (they may even exist now) when the
peace movement should back a presidential candidate.

First, lesser-evil arguments do work. Second, even if the two business-party
candidates are equally bad (i.e., so l-e arguments don't work), there's still
Nader/McKinney/Paul/Barr. (See the excellent -- and authentically anti-war --
joint statement that Wayne posted).

It's a prudential (perhaps tactical) judgment as to whether the peace movement's
support for any given candidate or none will further the anti-war cause, and it
changes with circumstances. But I've thought for most of the last twenty years
that support for the Democratic party candidate was a snare and a delusion for
the peace movement -- a way to bleed off energy -- and I think it is now. (There
may of course be lesser-evil arguments in favor voting for him in some places --
a different matter.) --CGE