[Peace-discuss] What Kissinger Said: "I Do Not Believe That We Can Make Conditions"

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Sun Sep 28 19:10:51 CDT 2008

I'm not sure what I am supposed to have misunderstood, deliberately or not.  Bob
says that he was not interested in "who quoted Kissinger correctly," but I was
responding to the post in which he said "For the record, this is what ...
Kissinger said ..."

In the debate, McCain and Obama were certainly interested in "who quoted
Kissinger correctly, as if we were scoring the high school debate team" -- of
course, the debate rarely rose to that level.

Bob writes, "The point I am interested in is the fact that five former U.S.
Secretaries of State ... say we should talk to Iran without preconditions."  Of
course "we" (a locution Bob has objected to elsewhere) should talk to Iran
without preconditions: I'm not sure what the urgings of five principal American
war criminals should tell us (the real us), altho' it might be some guidance to
President McCain.

The rest of my post was a response to comments of Bob's to which he provided
links.  I wanted to suggest that there seems to be a debate in DC on how best to
construct the enemy that justifies the continuing US military presence in the
Middle East: the neocons want to make a bete noire out of a pacific and indeed
helpful (to US regional interests) Iran, while the realists want to do the same
with terrorists in Pakistan. "We" (sc. the anti-war movement) should oppose both.

The body count suggest that the latter are winning -- the argument, at least.

  --CGE