[Peace-discuss] Re: Cockburn on deregulation

C. G. Estabrook galliher at uiuc.edu
Mon Sep 29 16:46:25 CDT 2008

By remarking on the prominence of Gramm and Rubin in the respective campaigns,
Cockburn is pointing out that on economic matters we once again have the usual
choice between Tweddledumb and Tweddledumber.  The largely cosmetic differences
between the two provide the illusion of choice while both campaigns remain
subservient to their financial masters.

Today at High Noon in DC, neither Grace Kelly nor Gary Cooper (sc. Obama and
McCain) did anything, but nevertheless the Frank Miller gang was routed.

As Cockburn says, "deregulation – the loosening of government supervision ...
has been the neoliberal mantra preached by both major parties," beginning in the
Carter administration when Ted Kennedy and his aide Stephen Breyer (now Supreme
Court justice) deregulated the airlines. It is supported by "the whole of the
establishment press and almost every university economics department in the
country. It is central to the current disasters" -- as many are coming to see.
But we shouldn't expect any service to the popular interests from either
business parties. --CGE