[Peace-discuss] vox populi

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Tue Sep 30 13:43:16 CDT 2008

By the voice of the people I meant there were thousands of phone calls and
emails to congressmen and they were overwhelmingly negative against the
bailout.
I would say that voice had some effect.

Ninety-Four Democrats voted against it, accounting for 40% of the Nays.
For which I am thankful.

Marcy Kaptur and Dennis Kucinich were particularly eloquent against the
bailout.

Congressmen Blunt and Boehner (both Republicans) joined with Pelosi and
tried to bully it through.

It was a bi-partisan effort (i.e., both Stupid AND Evil, as they say),
while the opposition to the bailout is truly non-partisan.

The market is recovering somewhat today...  But of course,  prices of
over-valued assets like houses are going to go down.