[Peace-discuss] Rubin, Wachovia, Tom Paine

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Tue Sep 30 14:43:50 CDT 2008

John asks: "Huh?  Do you mean one SHARE of Citibank for each SHARE of
Wachovia?  Or are shares of Wachovia worth only a dollar now?  If the
latter, how did Wachovia get so devalued?  Does it hold a lot of bad
mortgages also?"

One share of Wachovia Bank will be treated as though it were worth one
dollar in the purchase by Citi, if it goes ahead as planned by Citi.
Wachovia purchased a company with a lot of questionable mortgages a while
back (I don't remember the name of the company) but is otherwise sound. The
acquisition looks to me like treating the disease by killing the host.

I agree substantially with Tom Paine that government is produced "by our
wickedness...and promotes our happiness...negatively by restraining our
vices." It is difficult for government to police excesses of greed when it
starts bailing out businesses that are "too large to fail". The
consolidation fever that is in play looks to me like a move in the wrong
direction.

There is an inherent conflict of interest when government attempts policing
and promotion at the same time.The purchase of Wachovia by Citi would be a
move in a direction that would please fascists, with their fondness for
corporatism (the notion that society should be thought of as a single
organism or body, but seems to lead instead to society as a corpse). But do
we actually want to please fascists???

Bob