[Peace-discuss] excerpt from bill lind on afghanistan

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Wed Apr 1 08:22:04 CDT 2009

William Lind is a military strategist actually rather opposed to war,
particularly the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, etc.
He writes on LewRockwell.com this morning about the folly of the Obama
Administrations plans for
*"**a major, long-term military and civilian program to reinvent
Afghanistan from one
of the most backward, least developed nations to a relatively prosperous
democratic state."*
http://www.lewrockwell.com/lind/lind158.html

No surprises there.  The most interesting part of Lind's article (to me)
is the conclusion:

*...Here we see how little "change" the Obama administration really
represents. The differences between the neo-liberals and the neo-cons
are few. Both are militant believers in Brave New World, a Globalist
future in which everyone on earth becomes modern. In the view of these
ideologues, the fact that billions of people are willing to fight to the
death against modernity is, like the river Pregel, an unimportant
military obstacle. We just need to buy more Predators.*

*Meanwhile, the money is running out. The/ ancien//regime/ syndrome
looms ever larger: we not only maintain but increase foolish foreign
commitments, at the same time that debt is piling up, those willing to
lend become fewer and we are reduced to debasing the currency.
Historians have seen it all before, many, many times. It never has a
happy ending.*

*It appears Afghanistan will be the graveyard of yet another empire.*

**
*