[Peace-discuss] excerpt from bill lind on afghanistan

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Apr 1 12:24:45 CDT 2009

The US actually is an oil exporter, and a serious one -- about 1.8 million
barrels a day.

That's substantially more than the US imports from Saudi Arabia, despite the
propaganda about "energy independence" and "dependence on Mideast oil" -- which
the US has never needed for domestic energy, even under the present commercial
arrangements (i.e., production for profit rather than use).

For all imperialism may be accompanied by popular cultural chauvinism ("The wogs
begin at Calais"), it's usually had practical if vicious motives. "Influence" --
over the international economy, or at least a portion of it -- has been the
motive of US imperialism since Jefferson's plans for the conquest of Cuba.
That's why the USG today insists on control of the flow of oil, esp. from the
Mideast -- not because it's needed in America.

We [considered use] in our generous liberal sentiments are I think far too
willing to attribute to stupidity what comes from malice. Our government is of
course finally deeply stupid (and hence sinful*) to prefer hegemony to survival,
but it goes about it generally rationally (in the Weberian sense of fitting
means to ends) -- as the Russians did in entering (and leaving) Afghanistan.

*(Aquinas points out that sin is preferring a lesser good to a greater one,
e.g., the good of sleeping with my neighbor's wife is preferred to the greater
goods of amity, fidelity, etc.)