[Peace-discuss] excerpt from bill lind on afghanistan

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Wed Apr 1 11:20:04 CDT 2009

The dollar really may be quite dead as the international reserve currency,
and the results will be catastrophic, particularly as related to the
purchase of oil.

We saw last summer poor starving countries exporting foodstuffs because
of market conditions.
Now imagine a condition where US dollars don't compete well for oil and
the US becomes
an oil exporter (except for trade barriers forbidding it).

I agree that the US is at least as much after the flow of oil as
influence, but what Lind is
calling modernity (up-ending of traditional culture) I would call
American Imperialism,
but it seems that the culprits in the imperialism extend beyond the US
borders.

There was an article in the news yesterday about a UN group complaining
that traditional
Afghani law is demeaning to women.  Regardless of one's stand on the
issue of traditional
Afghani law, it should not be hard to understand that the Afghans prefer
to find their own
way and would fight against any meddling from the outside.

The US government (I really want to refrain from saying "we") is very
much in the same pickle
that the Russians got into regarding Afghanistan.  I marvel at the
stupidity of armies and I must
say that either Tolstoy was a genius or he was familiar with the works
of a genius.